[W8LKY] More info about the raffle at the November meeting

Hi everyone,here’s some more info about the raffle coming up at the November meeting. All funds collected will be donated to the Alliance Fire Department’s toy drive.
So far, we have several HF & U/VHF antennas. Tony, KD8BBK has put together several HF antennas, and a box of connectors for some lucky folks.
I’ll be bringing a couple VHF/UHF J-Poles.
Please, come prepared to by lots of tickets to support this important charity in the Alliance area!
The meeting is November 14th, in the cafeteria conference room at the Alliance Community Hospital. The meeting begins at 7:30PM, and the raffle follows immediately afterwards.
73 DE KD8MQ
*John Myers, KD8MQ*
kd8mq1@gmail.com
330-936-5021

A Message From Ron

I just wanted to take a moment and repeat what Paul K2ASA said, We need
the membership of AARC to step up and take a moment an nominated a worthy
member of the club for Ham of the Year. All of you do such a great job as a
member of AARC.  We need to be involved in the process of this traditional
and yearly honor, Ham of The Year.

Moving on, your executive committee will meet shortly to set into motion
the basic schedule of events for the coming year and we are always open to
suggestions. We might have an interesting community project for the holiday
season and it would increase our ex poser in the greater Carnation City
Area. We will discuss the project on Nov. 14th.

SKYWARN  is conducting a spotter class for Winter and Spring observation
activity on October 24th, 6:30PM. The location is Mercy Medical Center 1320
Mercy Drive in Canton (just off I 77at 13th street Exit)  the  Free Seminar
is  being held in Mercy Hall Amphitheater.

My good friend Tomas KC8ZEH always says at the signing off of the Two(2)
meter net, “You make the net and without you, we have no Net” The same is
true with Alliance Amateur Radio club. We need every member to participate
and when we do, we will be OUTSTANDING, BEYOND BELIEF!!

73’s
Ron Rittenhouse KE8HCY
Incoming President AARC 2018-19

[W8LKY] Special drawing at the November meeting.

As you read in the minutes from the October meeting, the Alliance ARC will again be conducting a special drawing for charity at the meeting on November 14. . As of this writing, the charity will be the Alliance Fire Departments annual toy drive. We are just waiting on confirmation from them that the drive is on for this year.
We have a couple folks preparing to to bring some great Ham related items for this drawing. If you would like to kick in some new or nearly new item, please contact me (Please don’t take this offer as an excuse to clean out your junk pile).
100% of the ticket sales at the November meeting will be donated to charity, so please make plans to come & give generously. I’ll be sending out more information as the date gets closer. This will include any “special” prizes that might pop up!
*John Myers, KD8MQ*
kd8mq1@gmail.com
330-936-5021

[W8LKY] ham OF THE YEAR

Fellow hams,
The latest club roster posted on the web page is the most up to date list we have. Those listed there are paid up voting members of the club. There are 40 names on that list. To date I have received 8 nominations for Ham of the Year. Ham of the year is selected by a simple majority and so far I have 8 nominations for 8 different hams…….. 23 percent of the voting members is not a good showing. If I cant get a simple majority, then there will not be HAM OF THE YEAR……… Just thought you all might want to know..
May the DX be with you
DE K2ASA

[W8LKY] Oct. meeting minutes

Aarc meeting Oct 10 18 Mary Maendel KD8RFZ Paul Richardson K2ASA Tony Schillig KD8BBK Frank Sanor WA8WHP Miriam Sanor Ron Rittenhouse KE8HCY Dwight Turner KD8YFV Bryan Webler N8WD Tomas St. George KC8ZEH Charlie Theiss KE8EQI Ralph Smalley KE8JLJ Tom Steele KD8JRC Jerry Wheeler KG8RN Andy Magda AC8JR Dave Moreno KE8JLP Peter Lucke N8IGZ Benjamin Davis KD8KMQ John Myers MD8Mq Carl Manni K7CE Minutes accepted as printed Treasurers report xxxx.xx in account with no outstanding checks or bills Birthdays read On repeater, 440 has nothing new echo link: when we switched over and bought a new repeater, Eric was not very happy with us. He will not be turning on echo link for us, so John and Ben will brainstorm and figure something out. Repeater is up and running 10 m cw net, no one is responding 10 m side band is going good, no net this week as John will be gone 2 meter net has good response and average of 11 check ins . with new antenna, we seen to get better signals, some are complaining about motor boat sounds, could be dmr, John will check it out. Homeland security had no one on, last week there was two people, Lauren has been working midnights. With it being on the 2nd and last Tuesday, it is hard to remember that it is up. Ways and means committee are still working on a raffle up coming for a radio main base with a 2nd prize a little less costly. We want to make sure we don’t conflict with the toy drive raffle during the holidays. No training going on at this time, we have 1 person interested, he’s in Hartville. Frank gave him information. Equipment: the stuff that has been donated has been sold, 150.00 made, and a 5 table cost. The remainder of stuff will be taken to the Massillon ham fest, to be sold Web site: the roster is back on the sight, if you see errors, let the secretary know and it will be adjusted The video “Around the Table” is posted on web site DX Engineering field trip was good, K3LR super station, all good 2nd batch of t shirts will be taken till the end of Oct. so give $ to Tony and sign up on line Tom Steele is in need to get his car back from Beaver PA. will post pleas on net 501c3 news Lawyer still not available, she is not responding to calls so we are going to look for a new one. We have not paid her anything at this point, so we have to find a new one. Ron recommends Dennis Klunck. John will call and check with him. We are finished with current lawyer. Name badges, still being sold. New business: ham of the year, get your nominations in starting tonight, we don’t want to run it down to the wire, we want time to make the plaque before Dec. we need to be thinking about Christmas Party in Dec. field day for winter, is Jan 27 and 28th we are thinking about the church camp again, due to needs and conditions. The driving school is being used to storage right now and not too conducive to field day needs. The winter field day association is a non profit group, but it costs money to run, they are asking for donations to assist with the running of the contest. Other clubs are donating monies to them, and we should do the same, it doesn’t have to be a lot, even 20 bucks or 40 would be good. It suggested to put a jar out for donations during the field day and if we don’t reach a set amount we can throw in more. It was also suggested that we put the donation can out and donate %15. Of the take KD8JRK put a motion out to put out a collection can and donate 15% to the association. KD8MQ 2nded Toy drive needs to be started now. We need to donate things in to bring in Nov. Mon. 6pm at Perkins is having a supper for the radio bible study. Ron moves that we reserve Sat. Dec. 8th for Christmas party, Frank 2nd , motion passed, Paul will let Frank know. At 6:00-pm Next breakfast is Nov. 3rd, next meeting is the 14th of Nov. Business at hand, we have elections. Monthly meeting is adjurned
Meeting is turned over to the trustees to hold the election. Peter and Brian Election yearly meeting: Treasurer remains President Ron Rittenhouse Vice President Charlie Secretary Dave New Trustee Peter Meeting adjurned at 8:30
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[W8LKY] nomination for Ham Of the Year

If you were not at the meeting last night, elections were held and those results have been posted. Also we need to have your nominations for ham of the year. Those need to be in my hands by the next meeting so I can get the plaque ordered before the Christmas party on DEC. 8… If you want to email your nomination be sure it goes only to me…this maintains secrecy until the honor is bestowed. You can also call me with your nominations.. So far I have only 5 nominations….

Paul K2ASA

AARC election results

Last night was our annual meeting for elections, and here are the results:

  • President: Ron Rittenhouse, KE8HCY
  • Vice President: Charlie Theiss, KE8EQI
  • Secretary: Dave Moreno, KE8JLP
  • Treasurer: Tony Schillig, KD8BBK

Trustees:

  • Bryan Webler, N8WD (exp 2019)
  • Howard Miller K8DXR (exp 2020)
  • Peter Lucke N8IGZ (exp 2021)

Thanks, everyone!

Around Town: Alliance Amateur Radio Club

For those who haven’t seen it, here’s the Around Town segment where Frank WA8WHP & Ron, KE8HCY were on.

Final Report: Great Carnation Festival 2018 Grand Parade Communications Project

Revised: September 12, 2018

The Alliance Amateur Radio Club provided Communications for the 2018 Greater Carnation Festival Grand Parade on Saturday August 11, 2018 in Alliance, Ohio. The club’s project received two (2) blessings, the club’s Two (2) Meter Repeater W8LKY worked flawlessly and the weather was magnificent

The logistics for the event include a parade route of 2.1 miles long, which included using a part of State Route 183 and US Route 62. AARC positioned Ten (10) radio operators in such a manner in which the entire parade route was visible at all times.  Incidents along the parade route could be relayed to W8LKY net control and passed on to a representative of the Grand Parade Committee.  A Tactical Call Sign System was created for the duration of the event, “Carnation Control” acted as net control for the event which was located at the beginning of the parade.  The radio operators used various Tactical Call Signs such as “Carnation Six (6)” which designated the location of the radio operator and occasionally the operators would add their own call letters to their parade status reports.  The parade itself, took approximately One and a Half Hours to reach the end of the parade route at Broadway and South Union Ave. where it dispersed on West Broadway.   The project was completed by 1:30PM with the sign off of the radio operator at Union and Broadway Streets, which signified the last unit, had entered the dispersement area. The Alliance (Ohio) Police Department also monitored the activity ofW8LKY’s 2018 Grand Parade Communication Project.

The Operations:  We started with a 9AM PR Parade briefing at Rockhill Elementary School. Each radio operator was given a packet containing a parade lineup and other project information. Each operator proceeds to their assigned locations and checked in at 9:30AM with “Carnation Control” the Tactical Control for the project.  Each location operator reported the first unit’s arrival and the last unit passing their assigned location and any incident that may have occurred during their time in the viewing area of their assigned location. After the last unit passed their location, they were dismissed.

The Ten(10) radio operators of the Alliance Amateur Radio Club who participated in this project included:

  • Frank Sanor WA8WHP
  • Loren Kleinhans KD8WVE
  • Paul Richardson K2ASA
  • Howard Miller JR. K8DXR
  • Ron Rittenhouse KE8HCY
  • Shawn Gentle KD8ZEZ
  • Dwight Turner KD8YFV
  • Dave Kleinhans KE8IYN
  • Dave Moreno KE8JLP
  • Mike Urban KE8CKL.

Frank Sanor WA8WHP served as “Carnation Control” or Net Control for W8LKY for the Greater Carnation Festival 2018 Grand Parade Communication Project.  Ron Rittenhouse KE8HCY served as coordinator for the event.

Contacts for the 2018 Greater Carnation Festival included: The Grand Parade Chairperson Eric Brown and General Festival Chairperson Becky Bondoni Fernandez.  Alliance (Ohio) Police: Officer Aaron Perkins K8AHP Member of AARC

Respectfully Submitted

Ron Rittenhouse KE8HCY

2018 Greater Carnation Festival Grand Parade Communication Project Chairperson

A print friendly version of this report can be found here.

 

 

 

 

 

[W8LKY] testing again

Sending as plain text…….test of aarc mailing.
DE K2ASA