Archive for Club News

[W8LKY] 145.37 repeater Maintenance

HI everyone,
Sometime over the weekend, I’ll be turning off the 145.37 machine for some maintenance. We’ll be swapping out the duplexers, and inserting some new cables.
I’m anticipating doing this sometime Saturday Afternoon, and will send out an e-mail once the work has been completed.
Thanks, & 73,
*John Myers, KD8MQ*
kd8mq1@gmail.com
330-936-5021

[W8LKY] The week ahead

Hi everyone,
I hope everyone had a great weekend. As I’m writing this, a gentle rain has been falling for the last hour or so. My mowers are ready for another season, and I’m happy.
We have a full week ahead in the club.
Tuesday, there will be a Field Day Planning meeting. I’ll be sharing my ideas for Field Day, and asking your opinions as well. We’ll be meeting at the Field Day site (Herbert pavilion beside Marlington Middle School) at 6 PM.
Also on Tuesday, this will be the night for the Homeland Security Net. 147.51 at 7 PM. After all, there is more to VHF than repeaters, right?
Then on Wednesday, we have our monthly club meeting. We start the night at 5:45pm at Frank’s alliance Family Restaurant (428 E. State St) for dinner and conversation.
Following that, we adjourn to the Hospital cafeteria conference room for our meeting which begins at 7:30 PM. This months guest will be Mark Lee from the Ohio Military Reserve.
Finally, on Thursday, we have our nets scheduled:
8pm 10M SSB net 28.400
8:30pm 10M CW net 28.100
9pm 2M FM net 145.370 (PL 110.9)
Have a great week everyone. Remember, forward the heck out of this announcement. Visitors are ALWAYS welcome at our meetings & events!
73,
*John Myers, KD8MQ*
kd8mq1@gmail.com
330-936-5021

[W8LKY] Club things happening this weekend

Our monthly breakfast is Saturday, May 5th @ 8:30 am at Frank’s Alliance Family Restaurant. 428 E. State st in Alliance.
Then on Sunday, KD8JRK is hosting a “Coffee Break Rag Chew” at Complete Driving School 1150 Ely Street Alliance, Ohio 44601 Between 1:00 to 4:00.

[W8LKY] Here’s the May issue of the Alliance ARC Newsletter, the Zero Beat

HI everyone,
Here’s the link to the latest issue of the Zero Beat.
w8lky.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2018_05.pdf
*John Myers, KD8MQ*
kd8mq1@gmail.com
330-936-5021

[W8LKY] The week ahead

Hi everyone,
Here’s a update of the week ahead.
Tuesday – The homeland security net is Tuesday at 7 PM. Program your radios for 147.51, and join in.
Thursday – Our 10 Meter nets begin with SSB at 8 PM on 28.400MHz. The CW net follows at 8:30PM on 28.100MHz
Saturday – NVIS Antenna test. Check for more info on the club website at w8lky.org. More info about NVIS can be found at arrl-ohio.org/SEC/nvis.html
The two Meter Repeater is working OK, and Echolink is up & running.

[W8LKY] Ohio NVIS Day

Ohio NVIS Day 2018 Bulletin

Ohio NVIS Day will be Saturday April 28!

Email your station logs to nvis@k8es.org
We want to know your antenna type and height (list all the antennas you try!)

Operation is from 10 – 4 EDT. Take a lunch break, enjoy each other’s company. Transmit power should stay at 100 watts for accurate signal comparison. You may operate anywhere, home, club, portable.

We have some antenna faults at The Sarge, so we’re reducing our operating schedules at least until we repair/replace the antennas and can bring manpower down from the roof to operate. Give the band conditions recently, we anticipate anchoring our W8SGT station at 3902 for the majority of the day. We hope that by afternoon, we will be able to test our own new antennas and potentially operate 40 or 160. We will announce out operation on the air, and on various web locations, primarily arrl-ohio.org.

It’s not just the Sarge, of course! Feel free to construct something for 160, as well as 80 or 40. Work each other and give accurate reports! Work as many NVIS stations as you can! We’ll provide a report on the station with the most contacts, and the best performing antennas.

We hope to flood the bands with “NVIS Day” signals!

[W8LKY] W8LKY 2 Meter Repeater update

Thanks to Eric, N8HHV, the Echolink is back up and running. He also made some improvements in the operation of it. Thanks to all who assisted in the testing of the system last night.
So, try it out. log in to Echolink, and look for the W8LKY node.
TNX & 73

[W8LKY] Echolink is down

The W8LKY-R echo link node has been disabled for the time being.
I will get more information to you as it becomes available.

[W8LKY] April’s minutes

Here we go guys. Let me know of any corrections please, Thank you, Mary April 11, 2018 AARC meeting minutes
John Myers KD8MQ Ben Davis KD8KMQ Tomas St. George KD8ZEH Charlie Theiss KE8EQI Bryan Webler N8WD Rex Simmons NX8G Tom Steele KD8JRK Ron Rittenhouse KE8HCY Frank Sanor WA8WHP Miriam Sanor Tony Schillig KD8BBK Paul Richardson K2ASA Carl Mani K7CE Dwight Turner KD8YFV Dave Kleinhaus KE8IYN Heath Urbin Mary Maendel KD8RFZ Ted Armstrong K8TWA Peter Lucke N8IGZ Jerry Wheeler KG8RN Mike Collins KD8RUQ Andy Magda AC8JR John Molesky N8PLA Rick Graber WD8AYC Fran Lones

Meeting started at 7:30 Minutes accepted as posted on line 10 meter cw 3 or 4 check ins, Frank says “if you don’t hear me, check your frequency” Side band net doing well Tomas with 2 meter net had 17, 18, 21, 16, 18 check in’s Home land security net we had 5 for this month No training classes at this time Repeater committee report: we have changed locations with a new repeater. The hosting for the old repeater has graciously allowed it to be at Don Whitaker K8OMO’s house. Sheri, his widow, has been excellent at allowing us to use her place. The new repeater’s temporary home is in John’s KD8MQ house, the antenna is a diamond antenna with a 35’ run, 35 wats, out of repeater and 45 watts for the duplexer . we need our duplexer back from Sheri, John and Tony KD8BBK are going on the 21st and pick them up and check them out. The audio drop out people have experienced is probably de-sense, there is only a 1 foot space between the repeater and the duplex . John is working on it. As for the poor range this is a result of the temporary site at John’s house. We want to recognize Ben KD8KMQ, Paul K2ASA, Tony and Cliff KE8FSZ for their great input on the committee and Carl K7CE has been a great help as well. We are currently using a loaned duplexer. As far as a permanent home goes, a lot depends on the cabinets we house it in. when we get the dimensions of the equipment we can come up with cabinets then we know how much room we will need before we finalize a permanent home. We would like to gift Sheri and her son for recognition and thank them for their availability and hospitality. K7CE moved to allow $50.00 gift certificate and thank you card for the swiss steak dinner they like, KD8YFV 2nded. Motion passed. We have spent 400 of allotted repeater money up to date, there are a few more expenses and will take the 50 for Sheri out of repeater money. Treasure’s report: Paid for p o box, equipment insurance of $129, and $75 to Ben, liability insurance hasn’t been sent to us yet. $3701.75 is our balance as of today. Will we drop the old repeater from liability insurance. We have 2 repeaters on it for now, do we want to take them both off and add the new ones, while leaving the duplexors on. No decision made at this meeting. Moved and seconded to accept report. WA8WHP and KD8JRK motion passed Old business: 501 c3 Lawyer is waiting on accountant to get paperwork out then we will get things moving. John is hoping we will have it ready by next month’s meeting. By Law changes: We want to add an amendment for the club to maintain liability insurance. We may also want to discuss a no firearms present in meetings It was generally voted to not include anything about firearms. Peter N8IGZ recommends that we include the liability insurance in article 4 . We will table this issue until the bylaw committee re-meets and decides where to put the liability. John will remove the by laws from the web site until the committee resubmits changes and then re-post it. New Business Military reserve will be at our May meeting to explain who they are and what they would like us to do in partner with them as adjunct communications. Field day Planning meeting got rained out, there will be another one planned soon before next month’s meeting. We want to spread out stations further apart and keep the antennas further apart. John makes a motion to spend $50.00 to reserve spot at Marlington 2nded by KD8JRK Motion passed Heath volunteered to bring a large grill and chicken for it. John suggested it be for dinner and not lunch. Are we living within our means: Every year we spend 416 on insurance and p o box, not including incidental spending, we are around 6 or 7hundred a year. We get dues in once a year, Paul brings in candy sales, and our 50 50 drawing, and so we are not getting enough in to cover output in. Brainstorm ideas to raise monies. Once we get a 501c3 we can take donations We have money coming in from estate sales donations. Paul will get with Ron KE8HCY to discuss forming a ways and means committee for future budgets and fund raisers. Tom Steele suggested that we schedule a “coffee break” meeting on a Sunday after noon from 1 to 4 at the driving school. Tomas KC8ZEH added that we add a clean up to the meeting. Paul told Tom to pick up a date and John will put it in newsletter. May 6th is the day of choice. At 1 p.m. at the driving school. May 5th is breakfast at Frank’s, next meeting is May 9th. Motion to close meeting by kc8zeh and 2nded by Tom KD8JRK Meeting closed at 8:45 John is presenting the history of the club.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[W8LKY] meeting tonite

Good Morning all
Just a reminder that our monthly meeting is tonite at 1930 EST at Alliance Hospital. We will be voting on changes and updates of the club by-laws. If you have not seen those changes, you can see what the trustees have proposed posted on the club web page w8lky.org Prior to our meeting we will meet at Franks Restaurant for dinner at 1745.
John, KD8MQ will be giving a program on the history of AARC.
Some food for thought. Are we as a club living within our means? Up for discussion tonite.
MAY THE DX BE WITH YOU K2ASA
Sent from Mail for Windows 10