Archive for Club News

[W8LKY] W8LKY 2 Meter Repeater update

Thanks to Eric, N8HHV, the Echolink is back up and running. He also made some improvements in the operation of it. Thanks to all who assisted in the testing of the system last night.
So, try it out. log in to Echolink, and look for the W8LKY node.
TNX & 73

[W8LKY] Echolink is down

The W8LKY-R echo link node has been disabled for the time being.
I will get more information to you as it becomes available.

[W8LKY] April’s minutes

Here we go guys. Let me know of any corrections please, Thank you, Mary April 11, 2018 AARC meeting minutes
John Myers KD8MQ Ben Davis KD8KMQ Tomas St. George KD8ZEH Charlie Theiss KE8EQI Bryan Webler N8WD Rex Simmons NX8G Tom Steele KD8JRK Ron Rittenhouse KE8HCY Frank Sanor WA8WHP Miriam Sanor Tony Schillig KD8BBK Paul Richardson K2ASA Carl Mani K7CE Dwight Turner KD8YFV Dave Kleinhaus KE8IYN Heath Urbin Mary Maendel KD8RFZ Ted Armstrong K8TWA Peter Lucke N8IGZ Jerry Wheeler KG8RN Mike Collins KD8RUQ Andy Magda AC8JR John Molesky N8PLA Rick Graber WD8AYC Fran Lones

Meeting started at 7:30 Minutes accepted as posted on line 10 meter cw 3 or 4 check ins, Frank says “if you don’t hear me, check your frequency” Side band net doing well Tomas with 2 meter net had 17, 18, 21, 16, 18 check in’s Home land security net we had 5 for this month No training classes at this time Repeater committee report: we have changed locations with a new repeater. The hosting for the old repeater has graciously allowed it to be at Don Whitaker K8OMO’s house. Sheri, his widow, has been excellent at allowing us to use her place. The new repeater’s temporary home is in John’s KD8MQ house, the antenna is a diamond antenna with a 35’ run, 35 wats, out of repeater and 45 watts for the duplexer . we need our duplexer back from Sheri, John and Tony KD8BBK are going on the 21st and pick them up and check them out. The audio drop out people have experienced is probably de-sense, there is only a 1 foot space between the repeater and the duplex . John is working on it. As for the poor range this is a result of the temporary site at John’s house. We want to recognize Ben KD8KMQ, Paul K2ASA, Tony and Cliff KE8FSZ for their great input on the committee and Carl K7CE has been a great help as well. We are currently using a loaned duplexer. As far as a permanent home goes, a lot depends on the cabinets we house it in. when we get the dimensions of the equipment we can come up with cabinets then we know how much room we will need before we finalize a permanent home. We would like to gift Sheri and her son for recognition and thank them for their availability and hospitality. K7CE moved to allow $50.00 gift certificate and thank you card for the swiss steak dinner they like, KD8YFV 2nded. Motion passed. We have spent 400 of allotted repeater money up to date, there are a few more expenses and will take the 50 for Sheri out of repeater money. Treasure’s report: Paid for p o box, equipment insurance of $129, and $75 to Ben, liability insurance hasn’t been sent to us yet. $3701.75 is our balance as of today. Will we drop the old repeater from liability insurance. We have 2 repeaters on it for now, do we want to take them both off and add the new ones, while leaving the duplexors on. No decision made at this meeting. Moved and seconded to accept report. WA8WHP and KD8JRK motion passed Old business: 501 c3 Lawyer is waiting on accountant to get paperwork out then we will get things moving. John is hoping we will have it ready by next month’s meeting. By Law changes: We want to add an amendment for the club to maintain liability insurance. We may also want to discuss a no firearms present in meetings It was generally voted to not include anything about firearms. Peter N8IGZ recommends that we include the liability insurance in article 4 . We will table this issue until the bylaw committee re-meets and decides where to put the liability. John will remove the by laws from the web site until the committee resubmits changes and then re-post it. New Business Military reserve will be at our May meeting to explain who they are and what they would like us to do in partner with them as adjunct communications. Field day Planning meeting got rained out, there will be another one planned soon before next month’s meeting. We want to spread out stations further apart and keep the antennas further apart. John makes a motion to spend $50.00 to reserve spot at Marlington 2nded by KD8JRK Motion passed Heath volunteered to bring a large grill and chicken for it. John suggested it be for dinner and not lunch. Are we living within our means: Every year we spend 416 on insurance and p o box, not including incidental spending, we are around 6 or 7hundred a year. We get dues in once a year, Paul brings in candy sales, and our 50 50 drawing, and so we are not getting enough in to cover output in. Brainstorm ideas to raise monies. Once we get a 501c3 we can take donations We have money coming in from estate sales donations. Paul will get with Ron KE8HCY to discuss forming a ways and means committee for future budgets and fund raisers. Tom Steele suggested that we schedule a “coffee break” meeting on a Sunday after noon from 1 to 4 at the driving school. Tomas KC8ZEH added that we add a clean up to the meeting. Paul told Tom to pick up a date and John will put it in newsletter. May 6th is the day of choice. At 1 p.m. at the driving school. May 5th is breakfast at Frank’s, next meeting is May 9th. Motion to close meeting by kc8zeh and 2nded by Tom KD8JRK Meeting closed at 8:45 John is presenting the history of the club.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[W8LKY] meeting tonite

Good Morning all
Just a reminder that our monthly meeting is tonite at 1930 EST at Alliance Hospital. We will be voting on changes and updates of the club by-laws. If you have not seen those changes, you can see what the trustees have proposed posted on the club web page w8lky.org Prior to our meeting we will meet at Franks Restaurant for dinner at 1745.
John, KD8MQ will be giving a program on the history of AARC.
Some food for thought. Are we as a club living within our means? Up for discussion tonite.
MAY THE DX BE WITH YOU K2ASA
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[W8LKY] Echolink is live

Hi everyone, just wanted you to know that echo link is back and should be functional For this weeks net.
John Myers, KD8MQ
kd8mq1@gmail.com 330-936-5021

[W8LKY] AARC – The week ahead

Here’s a couple of items of note for the week ahead.
Tuesday- Our Homeland security net happens at 7:00PM on a simplex frequency of 147.51. In case of massive power outage, where our repeaters might not be available, it’s good to be fluent in Simplex operation.
Wednesday- This is our monthly meeting night. We meet for dinner at 5:45 at Frank’s Alliance Family Restaurant (428 E. State St, Alliance). Then at 7:30 is our monthly club meeting at the Alliance Community Hospital. We meet at 7:30pm in the Cafe Conference room. This months program will be a short program on club history.
Thursday- is our Net night. The net schedule is:
following nets Scheduled:
– 8:00PM Ten Meter SSB Net (28.400 MHz) – 8:30PM Ten Meter CW Net (28.100 MHz) – 9:00PM Two Meter FM Net (145.37 MHz)
In closing, don’t forget that our two-Meter repeater has been replaced with a Yaesu System Fusion machine. The big change you’ll notice will be it requires a tone to access now. Just plug in 110.9 as your transmit and receive tones, and you will be all set. We are currently running at 35 W, till we see how the coverage is.
Thanks to everyone who helped, mainly the repeater committee (besides myself, there’s Ben, KD8KMQ, Paul, K2ASA, Tony, KD8BBK, and Cliff, KE8FSZ. Special recognition goes to Carl, K7CE, Bob, WB8OVQ, and Eric, N8HHV.

[W8LKY] W8LKY/R two Meter repeater is on-line

The new two meter repeater is on the air. Feel free to use it as we have in the past.
I will let you know once Echolink is back online.
This is a Yaesu DR-1XFR Analog/Digital machine running in mixed mode. So if you have a Yaesu System Fusion radio, you will be able to access the digital side of the repeater.
The analog side works as before with one change. You now need to set both your receive & transmit tones to 110.9 to access the machine. The noise issues we’ve been enduring should be a thing of the past.
Thanks to the repeater committee, for your help. Special thanks go to Carl, K7CE, Eric, N8HHV, and Bob, WB8OVQ for all their help.

[W8LKY] New repeater coming online Sunday afternoon.

I wanted to send out an e-mail to let you know about some happenings on the repeater front.
Sunday afternoon, a few of us are going to be dropping my tower, and installing the repeater antenna. At the same time, Bob, WB8OVQ will be here to help set up the new machine.
Before you ask, thank you for wanting to help, but NO ADDITIONAL HELP is needed at this time. The best thing you can do is stay away, so we can do our job.
Here’s what you CAN do, though.
1) Once testing begins, we will be shutting down the existing repeater.
2) Once you hear us on the air testing the new machine, PLEASE stay off the air! If we want to hear how the machine is sounding at your QTH, we’ll put out a call.
3) Once the machine is set up and made public, you will need to have your radio’s tone squelch & PL both programmed to 110.9. (Frank, WA8WHP will be available at the club meeting on Wednesday night to assist in programming your rigs.)
4) I highly recommend creating a separate memory in your rigs for the new repeater. This is in case we have issues (God forbid) with the new setup, and have to revert back to the machine at OMO’s QTH.
I believe in the power of prayer, and know that a lot of you do as well. So I’m asking that everyone please keep your repeater committee in your prayers, as we take this big step.
Thanks everyone for your help & patience as we worked towards this day.
*John Myers, KD8MQ*
kd8mq1@gmail.com

[W8LKY] Tonight’s Field Day Meeting is cancelled

Sorry everyone, but Mother nature wins this round.
The Field Day meeting or this evening is cancelled.
I’ll bring the info up at the club meeting on the 11th.
Thanks, and see you at Breakfast on Saturday.

[W8LKY] AARC Club Breakfast is this Saturday

Our monthly breakfast is Saturday, April 7th @ 8:30 am at Frank’s Alliance Family Restaurant. 428 E. State st in Alliance.
NOTE: There was talk at the last meeting of moving locations. Since then, I haven’t heard anything, so Unless I do, I’m assuming that we will be at Frank’s.
If I hear anything different, I will let you know.